Eastern Crete offers many alternatives for sightseeing, swimming, hiking, shopping and many more. Below you will find only a few suggestions. Feel free to ask us for more when you are here.
It is located in Lasithi Prefecture on the north side, between Agios Nikolaos and Sitia. It starts outside the village Exo Mouliana and ends at the Richtis beach. Total length of the route is approximately 3 kilometers and the elevation difference between the starting point and the beach is about 350 meters. The gorge, even in summer, has enough water, which is used by locals.
The Dictaean Cave (Dikteon Andron) is where, according to the Greek Mythology, Titaness Rhea hid her son Zeus, to protect him from his father Cronus who had the nasty habit of eating his children.
This is also the place where the love stricken Zeus led princess Europa in anticipation to their union.
This is a beautiful beach with white sand and amazing waters. Voulisma is very well organized and usually crowded, especially on summer weekends. There is also a smaller beach in the west part of the bay, which is very well protected from winds and less organized.
Elounda is a picturesque fishing village, well known for its luxurious hotels, taverns by the sea, bars, and beaches. It is part of the municipality of Agios Nikolaos, the prefecture of Lassithi, Crete. It is also the closest major town to Spinalonga, a historic leper colony, located on Kalydon islet.
In 1579, the Venetians built a mighty fortress on this islet on the ruins of an ancient acropolis. The Venetians kept control of the island even after the rest of Crete fell to the Ottomans in 1669 and it remained under their control for almost another half a century until its capitulation in 1715.
Spinalonga island is known for being the last active leper colony from 1903 until 1957. It was featured in Victoria Hislop’s now infamous book ‘The Island’. Today, it is unoccupied and is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the area. The small nearby fishing village of Plaka, which overlooks the island of Spinalonga and the Kolikithia Peninsula, can be reached a mere 3 km from the main square of Elounda heading north away from Agios Nikolaos.